Thursday, November 11, 2010

Under

And the places before
You sailed
Solitary
Though you were not alone
ever
I can feel the shift  
That defines this path of tributaries
through the stream
that leads me
to your sea 
I contemplate
Past
Present
providence
And hope
time passing by again
As a course
That must be run
As the sun drops slowly
to the horizon
And i realize how deep i have sunken
The grace under waves
And the pain
Stacked high
Rocks to raise me above
The stones that have been thrown
And as a river
They gather in pools
Shallowing conviction
Softening slowly spinning  to sand
And pushing through the hourglass
to define
This passage
And brook the precedent
that isn’t mine
what is
but a blink
not enough to sink
the ship i jumped
where this current will take me
where will it leave me?
beyond  the torrent of
reticence
Reveal the knot
Grounded in sand of the past
weathered with tension
still tethered
through so many waves ago
that bind your ship
from dipping
over the sinking sun
Drag the current to the water's edge
landlocked
Cave the sand in dots
mark a path
with footprints
i cannot follow
or match
as the tide sweeps clean
and as the match ignites to a flame
of indiscretion
i will
make a stand
poise and cuff against the flood
i will
crumble
already thrown ashore
I’ve found my place
i quietly descend
under the face of the water
i sit below
as the drift takes me home.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know what I realized when I was reading over your poems? You almost always mention water. That's interesting. Water is supposed to be the representation of human emotion in dreams. But I'm sure you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water usually represents the way our subconscious mind perceives the world in its entirety. Emotions, positions, relationships, all of it! Water always seems to be a good starting point for me because it is, essentially, where our mind begins to unravel all the things that can be discovered about ourselves under the surface. I usually just let it drain out of me, allowing my innermost self to write the words; it takes my conscious minds nagging wish to control, and everything goes quiet... if only for a minute.

    ReplyDelete